Friday, April 13, 2007

One Montin in Part II

Okay, so here I think I may add some more to what I wrote last. Still, however, I don't think I can fairly summarize the past 5 weeks. My group seems to be great I now know where everyone will be and I have a better idea of what my life may be like as a volunteer. Things are a bit clearer now then they have been and I feel alittle bit more relaxed.

I still have yet to get a cell phone number, however that should be taken care of soon. I am not sure if I have coverage at my site in Chikawawa, but there is a small hill nearby where I will be able to talk and I'm told that there is a new tower going up soon (we'll see if it gets up by the time I leave). Its great to be back in Africa. I had a wonderful introduction to my community by some very energetic people who I will be workin with. I am supposed to work with the department of forestry, but my actual work will cover a range of issues. A possible project for me is as follows:

Majete Game reserve is in the process of constructing a fence around the perimeter so that they may introduce another 100 elephants (next year) and eventually wild cats (maybe by 2012) thereby making it a strong tourist attraction. However, my village spills into the area where the fence is to be constructed. I feel that I may be able to meet with farmers and discuss how to better manage their crops and land usageso that they will not need the land in the game reserve for farming. This is just one of many possible projects for me to do and I look forward to really diving into the issues of the Chapananga area.


Chikwawa is one of the poorest regions of Malawi, which is one of the poorest countries in the world. I will surely be faced with great challenges both with the heat and the poverty, but I look at this as a good thing. So that any sort of a reward will be just that much more sweet.

I would really like to write more, but some excellent Indian food awaits me. These next few weeks, I should have ample access to the internet (ample meaning once or twice a week) so send me some emails, I would love to hear from all of you.

That is all for now, Peace and Love to all

Kevin

P.S. That wasn't 1/4 of what I wanted to say, but hopefully I will be able to give an indepth report when boredom sets in!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev: Read up on the area you're in last night. The guide book authors said this is the true "old Africa'' that visitors should see. It looks like pretty rugged country. I hope your bike has good tires. Dad.

ゾウソ said...

how am i supposed to live without you? -michael bolton

Jason said...

I'm watching some pseudo-nature program on TV and they were doing a bit on tornadoes. They showed some video of tornadoes over the big lake in Malawi, then cut to commercial. When they came back, they explained that the tornadoes weren't actually tornadoes but were in fact enormous swarms of bugs (I think). They said if you get caught in one of the bug swarms, you could die. So, if you see a tornado, remember to stay away! It's not a real tornado! It's an enormous killer cloud of bugs!

Emily said...

Kev, I'm really glad to hear that things are going well so far. I'll write you a full update soon. Things in Portland are rainy and busy. Can't wait to hear about your project and your town!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin, this is your cousin Molly. My dad sent me the link to your blog. This is so cool that you are in Malawi and working to help make people's lives better. I am working as a nanny in St. Louis. I wonder how many thousands of miles we are apart? The internet is amazing.

keep up the great work. -Molly

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin, I'm about to depart for Malawi myself this coming Sunday, May 28th. Well, my staging event begins then. I'm sure you know the feelings and thoughts I'm having at this point. I know Internet access is rare and you might not get this until well into my own Peace Corps training, but I thought I'd say hello! Perhaps we will meet over the coming months. Alison Walkley (peacewriter313@gmail.com)